Message to the Brunswick Zebras Community from our President

 In Uncategorized

Dear Brunswick Zebras community,

We hope you are all well in these difficult times.

Your Committee have decided, with the new Stage 3 restrictions and the recent announcement by Football Victoria, to withdraw from Football Victoria football competitions for 2020.

We are already planning for 2021 and working hard to secure funding and planning for our redevelopment of the Sumner Park pavilion.

Alternative playing options

Football Victoria (FV) announced on Tuesday 14th July that the Senior competitions for Men, Women, and Metropolitan Men will be cancelled for 2020, due to the return to Stage 3 restrictions and the rising number of active COVID-19 cases. Football Victoria have suggested alternative competitions and football options over the spring and summer for juniors. Our view is that it would be preferable for our Club to organise interclub competitions with other local clubs. Birrarung FC has already agreed to playing together and organising some competitions.

Brunswick Zebras will attempt to recommence some football activity at the end of the Stage 3 restrictions to give players an opportunity to play and reengage with their friends. This includes:

•     Gala days and interclub competitions
•     Friendlies
•     Football Skillz (U4 – U8) possibly recommencing in September

Refunds

If players and family members are experiencing financial difficulties due to Covid 19, we request that they email the committee to seek a refund of fees ASAP.

The Club will be sending a follow up email to ask players and families to choose whether they want their fees refunded or carried over as a contribution towards their 2021 season fee.

The Brunswick Zebras Club have incurred substantial expenses to administer the club such as Player and some Team Registration Fees with Football Victoria, transaction costs, team equipment, cleaning costs, administration and electricity costs just to name a few. It is important for the viability of the club that some of these costs are shared. We are currently waiting for Football Victoria to determine how much refund we will receive from insurance, player, and team registration that the Club has paid on behalf of the players. This is a substantial amount of money.

Be assured that we will refund every cent that we possibly can and that the club will be losing money this season. As we work out the various costs and work out the refund from Football Victoria, we will update our position. It is important that the Club continues to be financially prudent and solvent. We are funding a major redevelopment of Sumner Park with the financial support of Council and the State Government. So, we have to maintain adequate financial reserves.

Sumner Park Redevelopment

Moreland Council and Mayor Cr Lambros Tapinos have been incredibly supportive. Council have  waived fees for the use of the grounds, and they have provided $1,000 towards hand sanitizers.  Moreland Council has allocated $380,000 this new financial year towards a major upgrade of the pavilion at Sumner Park.  The Club will be allocating around $120,000 towards the total project and we are awaiting a funding decision from the Victorian State Government. We are trying to raise $1 million for this important upgrade.

A Big thank you
The Committee would like to thank all the coaches, volunteers and families for their resilience and hard work, as we look forward to getting teams back on the pitch as soon as possible.

Carlo Carli President, Kevin Thomas Secretary

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

0

Start typing and press Enter to search